Thursday, November 17, 2016

Wonderland Pillow


When you finally make it through the doors of Sample Spree at Quilt Market, it's good to have a plan. I always have my mental wish list ready to go so that I know where to run first. The bundle at the top of my list last month was Wonderland by Rifle Paper Co. for Cotton + Steel. My daughters and I had all fallen in love with the sneak peek on Instagram, and I was so excited to get my hands on the collection. It was the first bundle I opened up once I got home, and it seemed to be just the thing for an improvisational pillow.

The artwork for these prints is taken directly from Anna Bond's illustrated version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and it's truly stunning. The colors are saturated and the golden accents are lovely, but mostly it's the characters who shine brightest. I love the character prints, the illustrated map prints, the completely charming stacks of tea cups. It's all so beautiful.


The pillow design is essentially a log cabin block. I tossed in a large fussy cut center, a string of flying geese blocks, and a bit of rectangular patchwork along the way. I was going for a sort of "down the rabbit hole" feel, and I think it works. I varied my quilting according to the different sections to add to the randomness of it all.


I used black and gold canvas for the pillow backing. Again, this illustrated map print is divine. It's offered in several different colorways on both canvas and cotton, and I'm hard pressed to decide which is my favorite.

There are few things more satisfying than pairing the right fabric with the right project, and this was one of those times. It all makes for a pretty happy afternoon of sewing.

16 comments:

  1. OH my! How cool is this fabric? and I love the pillow, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Heidi, hope one of my LQS brings this line in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this SO MUCH! And with a 5-year-old daughter named Alice, I need need need this fabric. Thanks so much for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pillow! It is whimsy, colorful and just fun!! Wonderfully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a whimsical, folksy cushion. I love it! You nailed the 'down the rabbit hole' vibe. I hope you are keeping this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Down the rabbit hole ~ I want to go there! Wonderful and lovely pillow ~ I need this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really really love this! Thank you for the inspiration :) I also love the idea of using canvas for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your fabric placement of those fabrics, especially the flying geese - very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the clockwise movement of the layout, Heidi! An inspired use of this fabric line, and what great fussy cuts - especially the creativity of how you cut the flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you did here: the fussy cut flying geese and the big block w/ Alice and the row of all the characters going across the top! So, so fun!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really turned out great. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pillows. A good night's sleep depends upon a right pillow. These are one object that we use on a daily basis. Last month I had bought some pillows from Find the Essence of Joy store at a very low price. Keep blogging like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow ! Awesome pillo here !I know I am paying a premium for the ability to reduce the space my gear is taking up. It would be one thing if I were comparing this against sleeping with a standard pillow from my house, but I look at my old method of folding up (clean) clothes for under my head.For more information visit here.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! I can't wait to make this!

    Gretta Hewson
    Veritable Maid Service Warwick NY website

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...